Bydgoska Sausage (Kiełbasa bydgoska)
The sausage from the Polish city of Bydgoszcz.
Prep time: 3 hours
Cook time: 1 hour
|Beef||400 g||0.88 lb|
|Beef with connective tissue||200 g||0.44 lb|
|Fat trimmings||300 g||0.66 lb|
|Veal or beef trimmings, connective tissue, pork skins||100 g||0.22 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||18 g||3 tsp|
|Cure #1||2.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Pepper*||1.5 g||3/4 tsp|
|Garlic||1.5 g||1/2 clove|
- Add equal amount of water to meat trimmings and skins (if used) and cook at 95° C (203° F) until soft. Save meat stock.
- Grind beef with 1/4” (6 mm) plate.
- Grind beef with connective tissue with 1/8” (3 mm) plate.
- Grind meat trimmings and skins (boiled) with 1/8” (3 mm) plate.
- Grind fat trimmings with 5/16” (8 mm) plate.
- Using food processor emulsify beef with connective tissue and meat trimmings adding 100 ml (3.5 oz fl) of meat stock. Add all ingredients when emulsifying.
- Mix ground beef with ground fat trimmings. Add emulsified meat and mix everything together.
- Stuff into 60-70 mm synthetic fibrous casings. Sausage in straight links, 40-45 cm (16-18 “) long. The ends tied with a twine, hanging loop (10-12 cm, 4-5”) on one end.
- Hang for 30-60 min at room temperature.
- Apply hot smoke for 100-120 min.
- Cook in water at 72-75° C (161-167° F) for 50-70 min until the sausages reach 68-70° C (154-158° F) internal temperature.
- Immerse (or shower) in cold water to cool sausages to 12° C (53° F) or lower. Keep refrigerated.
* The original recipe allowed replacing the natural pepper with a double amount of herbal pepper (white mustard seed, caraway, marjoram, chili, hot and sweet paprika, bay leaf).