Brain Sausage (Kiszka mózgowa)
Polish sausage where the principal ingredient are brains. This original recipe may not appeal to everybody but it is listed for its educational and historical value. Brains could be substituted with offal meat such as hearts, lungs, tongue, liver or skins. It is advisable to keep skins under 10%, otherwise the sausage might feel rubbery.
Prep time: 3 hours
Cook time: 1.5 hours
|Pork, beef, veal or lamb brains||500 g||1.10 lb|
|Fat trimmings||250 g||0.55 lb|
|Pork skins||100 g||0.22 lb|
|Pork trimmings||50 g||0.11 lb|
|Semolina flour||100 g||0.22 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of materials
|Salt||18 g||3 tsp|
|Pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Ginger||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Allspice||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Onion||30 g||1/2 small|
- In a small amount of water cook the following: pork trimmings for 10-15 min at 80-85° C (176-185° F); pork skins for 2-3 hours at 85° C (185° F). Drain. Save stock.
- Brains, fat trimmings, precooked pork class trimmings, cooked skins and onion, all ground through 1/8” (3 mm) plate.
- Using food processor emulsify semolina with the equivalent amount of meat stock left from cooking meats. Add salt, spices and skins and emulsify again. Add pork and fat trimmings, brains and emulsify everything together until an uniform paste is obtained.
- Stuff into 55-60 mm cellulose or synthetic fibrous casings. Make straight links 14-16” (35-40 cm) long.
- Immerse sausages in boiling water and poach at 80-85° C (176-185° F) for 50-90 min until sausages reach 68-70° C (154-158° F) internal temperature.
- Cool sausages in cold water for 15 minutes, dry briefly and refrigerate.