Meats and Sausages
Spanish mortadela popular in Cordoba made with cubes of white fat about the size of a grain of rice and whole pitted green olives.
|Pork, lean||650 g||1.43 lb|
|Jowls, belly or fat trimmings||150 g||0.33 lb|
|Pork skins||50 g||0.10 lb|
|Back fat||150 g||0.33 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||18 g||3 tsp|
|Cure #1||2.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|Soy protein concentrate||15 g||1/2 oz|
|White pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Whole peppercorns||4.0 g||2 tsp|
|Coriander||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Garlic powder||3.0 g||1 tsp|
|Anise, ground||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Mace||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Caraway, ground||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Whole olives, pitted||50 g||1.76 oz|
|Red wine||30 ml||1 oz fl|
|Cold water||90 ml||2 oz fl|
- Cook skins in hot water (below a boiling point) for 60 minutes. Cool, then grind through 3 mm (1/8") plate.
- Dice partially frozen back fat into 6 mm (1/4”) cubes for use as show meat.
- Grind all meats through ¼” 6 mm (1/4") plate, refreeze and grind again through 3 mm (1/8") plate.
- Mix ground meats, skins with all ingredients (except whole peppercorns, olives, fat cubes and water).
- Emulsify sausage mass in a food processor adding cold water.
- Mix emulsified meat paste with cubed fat, olives and whole peppercorns.
- Stuff into 100 mm (4") synthetic casings.
- Cook sausages in water at 80° C (176 ° F), until meat reaches 70° C (158° F) internal temperature what will take about 2 hours.
- Cool and refrigerate.
If not having food processor, grind meats once more adding cold water.