German finely ground sausage originally from the French city of Lyon.
|Lean pork||500 g||1.10 lb|
|Pork jowls, pork cuts rich in connective tissue||200 g||0.44 lb|
|Pork fat, fat trimmings||200 g||0.44 lb|
|Water||100 g||100 ml|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of materials
|Salt||16 g||3 tsp|
|Cure #1||2.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|Pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Nutmeg||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Ginger||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Cardamom||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
- Grind lean pork through 3 mm (1/8") plate. Mix with salt, Cure #1 and water.
- Grind jowls and fat through 3 mm (1/8") plate. For finer texture grind again or emulsify in food processor.
- Mix ground meats, fat and all ingredients together.
- Stuff into 60 mm natural or synthetic fibrous casings.
- Hold at room temperature for 60 minutes.
- Boil at 75º C (167º F) for 90 minutes.
If desired, Lyoner can be smoked at 60º C (140º F) for 60 minutes. If sodium nitrite (Cure #1) is not added the sausage is known as White Lyoner (Weiꞵer Lyoner).