Kümmelwurst-Kochen (Boiled Caraway Sausage)
Kümmelwurst is the cooked sausage for people who like caraway. Caraway seeds are added to rye bread and often to sauerkraut. It is one of those spices that one either loves or hates.
|Beef||250 g||0.55 lb|
|Pork, lean||400 g||0.88 lb|
|Back fat or fat trimmings||350 g||0.77 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||16 g||2.5 tsp|
|Cure #1||2.5 g||½ tsp|
|White pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Mace||0.5 g||¼ tsp|
|Coriander||0.5 g||¼ tsp|
|Ginger||0.3 g||1/8 tsp|
|Caraway, ground||1.0 g||½ tsp|
- Grind beef with 3 mm (1/8”) plate.
- Grind pork with 10 mm (3/8”) plate.
- Grind fat with 10 mm (3/8”) plate.
- Mix/knead beef with salt and Cure #1 until sticky. Add pork and spices mix again. Lastly add fat and mix all together.
- Stuff into 40 mm hog casings. Hold for 1 hour at room temperature.
- Smoke at 60° C (140° F) for 60 minutes.
- Cook in water at 80° C (176° F) for 40 minutes.
- Cool in cold water for 10 minutes.
- Dry in air and refrigerate when cool.