Knoblauchwurst (Garlic Sausage)
Knoblauchwurst is a German garlic sausage, very popular in the Thuringia region and in former German city of Breslau (known today as Wrocław in western Poland).
|Beef, lean||650 g||1.43 lb|
|Pork back fat, belly fat||250 g||0.55 lb|
|Pork trimmings, connective tissue allowed||100 g||0.22 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||16 g||3.5 tsp|
|Cure #1||2.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|Pepper||3.0 g||1.5 tsp|
|Nutmeg||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Coriander||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Caraway, ground||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Garlic, diced||5.0 g||1.5 clove|
- Grind beef through 3 mm (1/8”) plate.
- Grind pork trimmings and fat through 3 mm (1/8”) plate.
- Mix ground meat and fat with all ingredients. For finer texture the sausage mass can be emulsified in food processor adding 10% (100 ml) of cold water.
- Stuff into 40 mm pork or beef casings.
- Hang for 60 minutes at room temperature.
- Smoke at 60-70° C (140-158° F) for 60 minutes.
- Cook in water at 80° C (176° F) for 40 minutes.
- Cool in cold water for 10 minutes. Finish cooling in air.