Meats and Sausages
An Austrian type of Knackwurst. The original name “Knackwurst” changed to “knockwurst” on the American market.
|Beef and/or pork, regular quality||500 g||1.10 lb|
|Pork belly, fat trimmings||200 g||0.44 lb|
|Water||300 g||10 oz fl|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of materials
|Salt||15 g||2.5 tsp|
|Cure #1||2.0 g||1/3 tsp|
|Pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Mace||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Allspice||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Potato starch||20 g||2 Tbsp|
- Grind beef and/or pork with salt through 3 mm (1/8") plate.
- Grind belly and fat through 5 mm (1/4") plate.
- Mix ground meat and fat with all ingredients together.
- Stuff into 28 mm pork casings forming 30 cm (1') links.
- Smoke at 60° C (140° F) for 60 minutes.
- Cook in water at 80° C (176° F) for 20 minutes.
- Cool in cold water for 5 minutes. Cool in air and refrigerate.
Schübling, a type of Knackwurst made without potato starch can be found in Voralberg region of Austria