An Australian low calorie sausage made from kangaroo meat. Kangaroo meat is a very lean (1.8% fat) red meat.
Prep time: 1 hour
Cook time: 35 minutes
|Kangaroo meat||800 g||1.76 lb|
|Vegetable oil||50 ml||1.66 oz fl|
|Tomato sauce||60 ml||2 oz fl|
|Water||90 ml||3 oz fl|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of materials
|Salt||18 g||3 tsp|
|Cure #1||2.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Cayenne||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Garlic, minced||7.0 g||2 cloves|
|Basil, rubbed||4.0 g||1 Tbsp|
|Oregano, rubbed||4.0 g||2 tsp|
|Soy protein isolate (SPI)||10 g||2 tsp|
|Flour||30 g||1 oz|
- Cut meat into 1/2" (12 mm) cubes. Mix with salt and cure #1.
- Using blender/food processor emulsify SPI with water for 60 seconds. Add oil and emulsify one more minute. Add spices, tomato sauce and flour and blend all together.
- Grind 3/4 (600 g) of meat with 6 mm (1/4") plate. Leave 1/4 (200 g) meat cubes intact as they are the show meat.
- Using a mixing bowl mix ground meat with remaining meat cubes (200 g) and the emulsified paste.
- Stuff into 36 mm casings. Hold at room temperature for 30 minutes to provide more time for sodium nitrite (cure #1) to develop stronger color.
- Cook in water at 80° C (176° F) for 35 minutes.
- Drain, cool and refrigerate.
Kangaroo meat is 98% fat free so in order to create a quality sausage pork fat or vegetable oil should be added.