Meats and Sausages
Salame d’oca di Mortara
Salame d’oca di Mortara is made from geese born, raised and slaughtered within the Regions of Lombardy, Piedmont, Emilia-Romagna, Veneto, Trentino-Alto Adige and Friuli-Venezia Giulia. During the finishing period (last three months) they are fed exclusively on green fodder and cereals.
Salame d’oca di Mortara carries PGI, 2004 classification.
|Lean goose meat||350 g||0.77 lb|
|Lean pork (butt or shoulder)||350 g||0.77 lb|
|Pork belly and/or jowls||300 g||0.66 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Sea salt||30 g||5 tsp|
|Cure #2||2.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|Dextrose||3.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Pepper||3.0 g||1-1/2 tsp|
|Nutmeg||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Cumin||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|White wine||5 ml||1 tsp|
|T-SPX culture *||0.12 g||use scale|
- Separately, grind meat and fat through 3/8” (10 mm) plate.
- * 30 minutes before mixing dissolve starter culture in 1 tablespoon de-chlorinated water.*
- Mix lean meats with salt and cure #2. Add spices, wine and culture. Mix. Add ground fat and mix all together.
- Stuffing. The goose skin, salted, trimmed and stitched with cotton thread, is used as casing
- for the sausage, which takes the form of the goose’s neck or, if the back and belly skin is used, a cylinder.
- The stuffed sausages are pierced, tied up and kept in well ventilated chambers at a temperature ranging between 14-18° C (58-64° F) for a minimum period for one to three days depending on size (choose 3 days if starter culture was added). After drying they are cooked in water at 80°C (176° F) and then cooled. Allow 10 minutes cooking time for each 10 mm of stuffed sausage diameter.
* use of T-SPX is optional. The culture works slow below 18° C (64° F) so allow 3 days for fermentation.