Devon is a large diameter medium quality emulsified sausage sold in Australia and New Zealand. Often served in a sandwich with tomato sauce but can also be sliced and fried.
Prep time: 45 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
|Pork trimmings||700 g||1.54 lb|
|Beef or chicken trimmings||200 g||0.44 lb|
|Fat trimmings, pork, beef or chicken||100 g||0.22 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||18 g||3 tsp|
|Cure #1||2.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|Soy protein concentrate||10 g||2 tsp|
|White pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Coriander||1.0 g||1 tsp|
|Paprika, sweet||1.0 g||1 tsp|
|Cayenne pepper||0.5 g||¼ tsp|
|Nutmeg||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Onion powder||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Potato flour||50 g||1.7 oz|
|Tomato juice||50 ml||1.66 oz|
|Water||60 ml||2 oz fl|
- Grind all meats through 3/8” (10 mm) plate.
- Using food processor emulsify ground meats with water and tomato juice. Add all remaining ingredients and emulsify again.
- Stuff into large diameter cellulose or fibrous casings.
- Hang for 2 hours at room temperature.
- Cook in water at 80° C (176° F) for 60-90 min according to thickness until sausages reach 72° C (160° F) internal temperature.
- Place sausages for 10 min in cold water, cool in air and refrigerate.