Debreceni kolbász (Hungarian), debrecener (English), debrecziner (German) is a pork smoked sausage of reddish-orange color, named after the Hungarian city of Debrecen.
|Pork butt||700 g||1.54 lb|
|Pork belly, back fat||300 g||0.66 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||18 g||3 tsp|
|Cure #1||2.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|Pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Paprika, sweet||6.0 g||1 Tbsp|
|Garlic, crushed||8.0 g||2 cloves|
|Water||15 ml||1 Tbsp|
- Grind lean meat through 3/8” (10 mm) plate.
- Grind fat through 3/16” (5 mm) plate.
- Mix/knead lean meat with salt, cure #1 and 15 ml of water until sticky. Add spices and fat and mix all together.
- Stuff firmly into 32-36 mm hog casings forming 8” (20 cm) long links.
- Hang for 1 hour at room temperature.
- Apply smoke at 48-60° C (120-140° F) for 60 minutes.
- Cook in water at 80° C (176° F) for 30 minutes.
- Immerse in cold water for 10 minutes, briefly dry and cool in air.