Chireta or Girella
Chireta or Girella (Gireta) is an Aragonese sausage made with pork belly, sheep offal meat (intestines, heart, lungs, liver), rice, parsley and spices. It is stuffed into sheep stomach.
|Sheep offal meat (heart, tripe, lungs, liver)||300 g||0,66 lb|
|Pork meat||200 g||0.44 lb|
|Pork belly, fat trimmings||300 g||0.66 lb|
|Rice||200 g||0.44 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||15 g||2.5 tsp|
|Black pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Pimentón, sweet||10 g||2 tsp|
|Parsley||1 bunch||3 Tbsp|
|Cinnamon||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
- Cook rice, but don't overcook.
- Grind all meat through 5 mm (1/4") plate.
- Mix meats with all ingredients and rice.
- Stuff into sheep stomach. The stomach is cleaned with white vinegar then rinsed very well before filling The stomach is cut with scissors into smaller sheets. Each sheet is filled with sausage mix, folded over and sewn with twine. Fill casing loosely as the rice will expand a little.
- Cook in water at 80° C (176° F) for 60 minutes.
Chiretas are usually served hot, as a main dish. They are also sliced, dipped in an egg-flour batter, and fried to a golden color.