Cervelatpølse also known as Kødpølse is an emulsified smoked Danish sausage. The casings are usually painted red with a traditional red dye (carmine) known in the USA as red food coloring.
|Beef||350 g||0.77 lb|
|Pork||350 g||0.77 lb|
|Pork back fat||300 g||0.66 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||18 g||3 tsp|
|Cure #1||2.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|Pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Nutmeg||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Ginger||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Water||60 ml||2 oz fl|
- Grind pork through 1/4” (6 mm) plate.
- Grind back fat through 1/4” (6 mm) plate.
- Grind beef through 1/8” (6 mm) plate.
- Using food processor emulsify beef and pork with salt, cure #1 and water. Add fat and spices and emulsify all together.
- Stuff into 36 mm hog casings, making 12” (30 cm) links.
- Hold for 1-2 hours at room temperature.
- Smoke with beech or oak at 60° C (140° F) for 1 hour.
- Cook in water at 80° C (176° F) for 35 minutes.
- Add red coloring to cold water and immerse sausages for 10 minutes.
- Dry briefly and refrigerate.