Butifarrón is a cooked sausage very similar to butifarra. It is made from lean pork, hard pork fat and often from pork and beef. Hard fat is usually diced in little cubes which become visible show pieces once the sausage is sliced.
|Lean pork||600 g||1.32 lb|
|Lean beef||200 g||0.44 lb|
|Back fat or hard fat trimmings||200 g||0.44 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||18 g||3 tsp|
|Cure #1||2.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|Pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Coriander||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Nutmeg||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Cloves, ground||0.3 g||1/8 tsp|
|Garlic, diced||3.0 g||1 clove|
- Dice back fat into 6 mm (1/4") cubes.
- Grind pork through 5 mm (1/4") plate.
- Grind beef through 5 mm (1/4") plate.
- Mix beef and pork with all ingredients. Add cubed fat and mix again.
- Stuff into 40-50 mm beef middles, make sections 30-40 cm (12-14") long.
- Hold overnight in refrigerator or for 4 hours at room temperature.
- Optional step: smoke at 60° C (140° F) for two hours.
- Cook in water at 80° C (176° F) for 60 minutes.
- Cool in cold water for 10 minutes. Cool in air to evaporate moisture and refrigerate.