This butifarra is nicknamed "treacherous" (traidora) as it is made with tongue, lips, head meat and we all know the saying: loose lips sink ships. The sausage is popular in north-western parts of Catalonia in Pyrenees mountains. This rather greasy sausage was made from offal meat, fat and leftover meat trimmings. It is slightly darker than a typical butifarra.
|Pork head meat, liver, skins (<10%), kidneys, lungs, meat trimmings||400 g||0.88 lb|
|Pork tongue||100 g||0.22 lb|
|Fat, fat trimmings||400 g||0.88 lb|
|Wheat flour||40 g||1.41 oz|
|Onion, finely chopped||30 g||1.0 oz|
|Water or meat stock||30 ml||`2 Tbsp|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of materials
|Salt||12 g||2 tsp|
|White pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Cilantro, finely chopped||10 g||2 Tbsp|
|Cumin||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Nutmeg||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Garlic, smashed||10 g||3 cloves|
- Cook all meats (except liver) until soft. Remove meat from bones and cut into smaller pieces.
- Scald liver in hot water for 5 minutes. Cool in cold water.
- Grind meats, fat and liver with 5 mm (1/4”) plate.
- Mix meats with water (or meat stock from boiling meats) all ingredients and flour.
- Stuff into 40-50 mm pork or beef middles.
- Cook in water at 80° C (176° F) for 40-50 minutes.
- Cool in cold water for 5 minutes. Hang briefly to cool.