Currywurst is the most popular sausage in Berlin and Hamburg, however, the sausage itself has not much character as any sausage can become “currywurst” as long as it is topped off with the currywurst sauce. It is all about the sauce and not much about the sausage. The following recipe can be considered the real curry sausage as curry powder is included in the sausage mix. The sausage, can of course, be served with a curry sauce as well.
|Pork shoulder||1000 g||2.2 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||18 g||3 tsp|
|White pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Curry||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Mace||1.0 g||½ tsp|
|Ginger||0.5 g||¼ tsp|
|Cardamom||0.5 g||¼ tsp|
|Lemon zest, grated||1.0 g||½ tsp|
|Soy protein concentrate*||5.0 g||1 tsp|
|Water, cold||120 ml||3 oz fl|
- Grind meat through 1/8” (3 mm) plate.
- Mix meat with salt, water and spices until sticky.
- Stuff into 28-32 casings.
- Cook in water at 80° C/176° F for 30 minutes.
- Immerse for 10 minutes in cold water than dry in air to evaporate moisture.
* If not using soy protein concentrate, decrease the amount of water to 30 ml (2 Tbsp).