Currywurst is the most popular sausage in Berlin and Hamburg, however, the sausage itself has not much character as any sausage can become “currywurst” as long as it is topped off with the currywurst sauce. In Curry-Bratwurst curry powder is one of the major ingredients so the sausage does not depend on sauce for the flavor. The sausage, can of course, be served with a curry sauce as well.
Prep time: 18 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
|Pork shoulder||1000 g||2.2 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||18 g||3 tsp|
|White pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Curry||6.0 g||3 tsp|
|Mace||1.0 g||½ tsp|
|Ginger||0.5 g||¼ tsp|
|Cardamom||0.5 g||¼ tsp|
|Lemon zest, grated||1.0 g||½ tsp|
|Worcestershire sauce||3 ml||1/2 tsp|
|Water, cold||60 ml||2 oz fl|
- Grind meat through 3 mm (1/8”) plate.
- Mix meat with salt, water and spices until sticky.
- Stuff into 28 mm sheep or hog casings forming 30 cm (1") links.
- Boil in water at 80° C (176° F) for 30 minutes.
- Immerse for 10 minutes in cold water than dry in air to evaporate moisture.