Traditional black pudding is an English blood sausage. This recipe adapted from Handy Guide for Butchers by Thomas B. Finney, 1908.
|Pearl barley groats||300 g||0.66 lb|
|Back fat||200 g||0.44 lb|
|Fine oatmeal||150 g||0.33 lb|
|Flour||50 g||1.76 oz|
|Onions, diced||50 g||1.76 oz|
|Blood||250 g||0.44 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of materials
|Salt||21 g||3-1/2 tsp|
|White pepper||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Marjoram||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Sage, rubbed||1.0 g||1 tsp|
|Thyme||1.0 g||1 tsp|
- Dice back fat into 1/4” (6 mm) cubes.
- Cook barley in water. Drain.
- Mix barley when still warm with all materials and seasonings.
- Stuff into beef runners or 36-40 mm hog casings.
- Cook in water at 80° C (176° F) for 40 minutes or until sausage reaches 72° C (160° F) internal temperature.
- Cool in cold water, hang in air to evaporate moisture. Keep refrigerated.