Meats and Sausages
Morcilla de Burgos
The traditional Morcilla Burgalesa is made without meat. The main ingredients are onions, rice, lard, blood and spices. The general consensus is that the sausage should be bland, greasy and spicy. Burgos is a city in northern Spain and the historic capital of Castile in Castilla-León region. Classic morcillas de Burgos are made with the locally grown Horcal onion which is the main ingredient. It is believed that this onion is what gives the sausage its character.
|Onions||420 g||0.92 lb|
|Rice||210 g||0.46 lb|
|Lard||210 g||0.46 lb|
|Pork blood||160 ml||5.33 oz fl|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of materials
|Salt||12 g||2 tsp|
|Pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Paprika, sweet||10 g||5 tsp|
|Paprika, hot||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Oregano, rubbed||3.0 g||3 tsp|
|Thyme, rubbed||1.0 g||1 tsp|
|Coriander||1.0 g||1 tsp|
|Cinnamon||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Cloves, ground||0.3 g||1/8 tsp|
|Anise, ground||0.2 g||1/8 tsp|
- Cook rice, but do not overcook. Chop the onions finely.
- Mix onions with rice, spices and blood. Place lard in pot and apply low heat, stirring often. When the lard starts to melt mix it with other ingredients.
- Stuff into 35-45 mm natural casings linking every 20 cm (8”).
- Cook in water at 80° C (176° F) for 40 minutes.
- Air cool to 8-10° C (47-50° F) and refrigerate.
The sausage can be made with raw or semi-cooked rice. Serve by frying, cooking in water or eating cold.