Meats and Sausages
Morcilla Asturiana is a Spanish blood sausage from Asturias, the province in north-west Spain. This sausage is closely related to Morcilla de Cebolla (onion black pudding) which is smoked and dried.Morcilla Asturiana is the principal ingredient in many Asturian stews, the most known is Fabada Asturiana which is a bean stew.
|Onions||400 g||0.88 lb|
|Back fat, dewlap, kidney, belly||250 g||0.55 lb|
|Beef||100 g||0.22 lb|
|Offal meat (heart, lungs, liver, head meat)||200 g||0.44 lb|
|Pig blood||50 ml||0.11 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of materials
|Salt||12 g||2 tsp|
|Cure #1||2.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|Pimentón, sweet||10 g||3 tsp|
|Pimentón, hot||6 g||2 tsp|
|Cloves, ground||0.3 g||1/8 tsp|
|Parsley, chopped||2 Tbsp||2 Tbsp|
|Mint leaves||1 tsp||1 tsp|
|Garlic, minced||7 g||2 cloves|
- Cook offal meat in water (below boiling point) until soft. Cool and grind through 6 mm (1/4") plate.
- Grind beef through 6 mm (1/4") plate.
- Finely cut onions or grind them through 1/8” (3 mm) plate.
- Dice fat into 3/8” (10 mm) cubes.
- In a skillet warm up some lard on low heat. Add the minced onions, half salt, minced garlic and one bay leaf. Cook uncovered on on very low heat until onions are glassy but not browned. Remove from the heat and place in a mixing bowl. Let them cool.
- Except fat, mix blood, meat and all other ingredients. Add diced fat and mix again.
- Laddle the mixture loosely through a funnel into 36 mm hog casings. Tie into 12” (30 cm) rings.
- Place the sausages into a large pot with hot water. Cook at 80° C (176° F) for 35 minutes.
- Cool the sausages in air.
- Apply a thin cold smoke at 18° C (64° F) for 3 weeks. Cold smoking is not a continuous process so do not worry if there is no smoke overnight as long as the temperature stays below 18° C. Cold smoking is drying with smoke.