Chouriça de Sangue de Melgaço
Chouriça de sangue de Melgaço is a blood sausage produced in the municipality of Melgaço in Portugal. It has a sweet, mildly acidic, slightly spicy taste. The taste of the onion predominates while smoking provide intense flavor.
|Pork trimmings||200 g||0.44 lb|
|Back fat or fat trimmings||150 g||0.33 lb|
|Blood||350 g||0.77 lb|
|Onions||150 g||0.33 lb|
|Rye flour||30 g||1 oz|
|Red wine||240 ml||1 cup|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of materials
|Salt||18 g||3 tsp|
|Cure #1||2.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|Pepper||4.0 g||2 tsp|
|Bay leaf||1 leaf|
- Cut meat and fat into 1” (25 mm) pieces.
- Finely dice the onions.
- Dissolve the chopped onions and all ingredients (except the blood and the flour) in red wine and season the meat. Place for up to 3 days in refrigerator stirring the mixture daily.
- Mix the mixture with the blood and flour.
- Stuff firmly into 36 mm hog casings and tie the ends together to make a loop about 1’ (30 cm) long.
- Apply a thin cold smoke at 18º C (64º F) for 15 days using oak wood. Smoking need not to be continuous as long as the temperature inside of the smokehouse stays below 18° C.
Chouriça de Sangue de Melgaço carries PGI, 2015 Classification.