Morcilla de Lengua
Spanish version of a blood sausage made with tongue. Blood sausages made with tongue are characterized by large chunks of tongue and visible cubes of white fat in different sizes.
|Back fat||300 g||0.66 lb|
|Pork skins||200 g||0.44 lb|
|Pork tongue||300 g||0.66 lb|
|Blood||200 ml||0.44 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||20 g||3.5 tsp|
|Cure #1||2.0 g||1/3 tsp|
|Black pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Marjoram||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Nutmeg||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Cloves, ground||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
- Dice tongue into 15-20 mm (1/2-3/4") cubes. Mix with 1/3 salt and 1/3 cure#1 and place for 24 hours in refrigerator. The tongues will develop a nice red color.
- Cut/grind skins, cover with a little water and slow cook (below boiling point) until a gelatin paste is obtained.
- Dice partially frozen back fat into 6-8 mm (1/4-3/8") cubes. Place cubes n a strainer and scald them briefly with hot water, 90° C (194° F) what will remove any melted fat.
- Keep blood warm in a double pot (arrangement baño de Maria) or in a bowl immersed in warm water.
- In a warm bowl start mixing: tongue cubes, fat cubes, gelatin (skins), spices, and blood. The mixture must be warm otherwise the gelatin will prematurely harden.
- Stuff warm mixture into 80-120 mm beef cap end or pork blind caps (caecum).
- Cook in water first at 90° C (194° F) for 15 minutes, then at 80° C (176° F) for 60-90 minutes.
- Immerse the sausages in cold water for 30 minutes. Insert the sausage between two wooden boards, and place a heavy weight on top one. Hold for 24 hours at low temperature or in refrigerator. Then, cold smoke (optional step) for 6 hours.
- Store at 10° C (53° F) or refrigerate.