Morcilla de Despojos (Blood Sausage with Offal Meat)
Spanish blood sausage made with offal meat. Despejo means offal meat (liver, heart, lungs, kidneys), stomach, entrails - the less noble cuts of meat which spoil relatively fast.
|Dewlap||250 g||0.55 lb|
|Liver, heart, lungs||375 g||0.82 lb|
|Blood||125 ml||4.16 oz fl|
|Onions, raw||250 g||0.55 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of materials
|Salt||25 g||4 tsp|
|Pimentón, sweet||15 g||7 tsp|
|Pimentón, hot||12 g||6 tsp|
|Parsley, chopped||3.0 g||1 Tbsp|
|Cloves, ground||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Oregano||0.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|Mint||0.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|Garlic, smashed||3.5 g||1 clove|
- Cook liver, heart, lungs in water until soft. Drain and cool. Grind through 5 mm (1/4") plate.
- Chop the onion finely, place in a drain bag, place weight on top and let it drain for 6 hours.
- Cut dewlap and any fat into small cubes.
- Mix all meats, fat, onions, spices and blood together.
- Stuff into 5-65 mm beef middles.
- Smoke first day with hot smoke, then smoke/dry with cold smoke until sausages develop black color.