Morcilla de Cebolla Valenciana
Morcilla de Cebolla Valenciana is Valencian blood sausage made with onions. This blood sausage keeps extremely well if the onions are cooked, drained and cooled to eliminate as much water as possible.
|Onions||600 g||1.32 lb|
|Back fat||300 g||0.66 lb|
|Blood||100 ml||3.33 oz fl|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of materials
|Salt||12 g||2 tsp|
|Pepper||4.0 g||2 tsp|
|Oregano, dry||2.0 g||3 tsp|
|Aniseed, ground||0.5 g||¼ tsp|
|Cloves||0.3 g||1/8 tsp|
- Peel onions, cut in half. Cook in water for 60 minutes, then drain and cool.
- Grind back fat and onions through 3 mm (1/8”) plate.*
- Mix onions, blood, salt, spices and fat together.
- Stuff into 25 mm natural casings making 12 cm (5”) long links.
- Cook in water at 80° C (176° F) for 30 minutes.
- Hang at room temperature (15° C/59° F) for 2-3 days. This is the optional drying/conditioning step which improves the flavor of the sausage and strengthens the casings so the sausage does not fall apart when fried.
- Keep refrigerated.
* you could grind ½ of fat and manually dice remaining ½ of fat into 6 mm (1/4”) cubes. The sausage is usually fried or grilled.