Morcilla de Calabaza de Mezcla (Blood Sausage with Pumpkin, Rice and Onions)
Blood sausage made with pumpkin, pork blood, back fat, onions and spices. All stuffed into natural or artificial casings and cooked.
|Pork back fat||200 g||0.44 lb|
|Blood||200 ml||0.44 lb|
|Pumpkin||300 g||0.66 lb|
|Cooked rice||100 g||0.22 lb|
|Onions||100 g||0.22 lb|
|Potatoes||100 g||0.22 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of materials
|Salt||18 g||3 tsp|
|Pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Pimentón, sweet||10 g||5 tsp|
|Pimentón, hot||6.0 g||3 tsp|
|Nutmeg||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Cloves, ground||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Cumin||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Oregano, rubbed||2.0 g||2 tsp|
|Garlic, diced||3.5 g||1 clove|
|Parsley, chopped||1 bunch||3 Tbsp|
|Mint, chopped||1 tsp||1 tsp|
- Dice onions and cook in water for 45 minutes. Drain. Spread on the table and let the steam and the moisture to evaporate.
- Cut pumpkin into smaller sections, remove seeds and fiber. Cook pumpkin for 25 minutes in water, 15 minutes in steam or bake for 30 minutes at 176° C (350° F). Remove the skin (it peels off easily) and cut the pieces into smaller parts. Place the pumpkin flesh in food processor and emulsify it into the puree. Don’t add any water as pumpkin has plenty of it. Place pumpkin puree in a draining bag, place some weight on top and let it drain overnight.
- Cook the rice.
- Boil potatoes and drain them.
- Grind fat through 3 mm (1/8") plate.
- Grind the pumpkin, onions and potatoes through 3 mm (1/8") plate.
- Except blood, mix everything together: fat, spices, pumpkin, potatoes and rice. Add finally the blood and mix all together.
- Stuff into 36 mm pork casings forming U-shaped loops about 50 cm (20") long. Tie the ends together with twine.
- Dry at 12-15° C (53-59° F), 75-85% humidity for 30 days.
- Store at <12° C (53° F), <70% humidity or refrigerate.