Leberrotwurst (Red Liver Sausage)
Leberrotwurst has the word liver ("leber") in its name, but it is classified in the German Guide to Meats and Meat Products - Leitsätze für Fleisch und Fleischerzeugnisse as blood sausage (2.232.3).
|Lean pork||400 g||0.88 lb|
|Pork jowls||150 g||0.33 lb|
|Pork liver||200 g||0.44 lb|
|Pork blood||75 g||2.5 oz fl|
|Pork skins||75 g||2.64 oz|
|Pork back fat||100 g||0.22 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||16 g||2.5 tsp|
|Cure #1||2.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|Pepper||4.0 g||2 tsp|
|Allspice||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Marjoram, ground||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Onions||15 g||1/2 oz|
- Slice the liver into thick discs an boil at 80° C (176° F) until cooked. Cool, then dice into 8 mm (3/8") cubes.
- Boil pork meat and jowls at 80º C (176º F) until semi-soft.
- Cut back fat into 6 mm (1/4") cubes and scald for 5 minutes in hot water. Drain.
- Boil skins at 90º C (194º F) until soft.
- Grind pork meat, jowls, skins and onion through 3 mm (1/8") plate.
- Mix blood with all ingredients then add ground meats, cubed fat and diced liver and mix all together.
- Stuff into 55 mm pork or beef middles.
- Boil in water at 80º C (176º F) for 60 minutes.
- Immerse in col water for 10 minutes. Drain and finish cooling in air.
The sausage was traditionally stuffed into pork blind caps (caecum). Boil in water 80º C (176º F) for 90-100 minutes.