Hausmacherblutwurst (Homemade Blood Sausage)
A simple homemade German blood sausage.
|Pork head meat and/or offal meat: tongue, heart, liver||250 g||0.55 lb|
|Back fat or hard fat trimmings with attached skin||300 g||0.66 lb|
|Skins||250 g||0.55 lb|
|Blood||200 g||200 ml|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of materials
|Salt||16 g||2.5 tsp|
|Cure #1||2.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Pepper||4.0 g||2 tsp|
|Nutmeg||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Cloves, ground||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Marjoram, ground||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Onions, diced||40 g||1/2 onion|
- Boil offal meat and pork head (if used) at 95º C (203º F) until meat can be separated from bones. Cool and separate meat from bones.
- Boil skins at 95º C (203º F) until soft.
- Boil fat trimmings at 95º C (203º F) until soft.
- Boil back fat at 95º C (203º F) until soft. Cool and place in freezer for 30 minutes.
- Grind meat with 8 mm (3/8") plate.
- Grind skins and fat trimmings with 3 mm (1/8") plate.
- Dice back at into 5 mm (1/4") cubes.
- Mix blood with salt, Cure #1 and all spices. Add all meat and fat and mix all together.
- Stuff into 42 mm pork casings making 40 cm (14") rings.
- Boil at 80º C (176º F) for 45 minutes.
- Immerse in cold water for 5 minutes. Cool in air and refrigerate.
When cooled, the sausage can be cold smoked for 24-48 hours.