Emberzao is an original Spanish sausage which is stuffed into cabbage leaves, and then cooked. The practice os stuffing meat into unusual wrappings is quite common, for example Nham fermented semi-dry Thai sausage packed in banana leaves, Korean sausage stuffed into squid body or Italian Zampone stuffed into pork's front trotter (leg).
|Back fat||300 g||0.66 lb|
|Onions||150 g||0.33 lb|
|Blood||275 ml||0.60 lb|
|Corn flour||225 g||0.49 lb|
|Wheat flour||50 g||0.11 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of materials
|Salt||12 g||2 tsp|
|Pimentón, sweet||10 g||5 tsp|
|Pimentón, hot||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Parsley, chopped||1 bunch||2 Tbsp|
- Cook cabbage in water until leaves can be separated. This makes them soft and pliable.
- Grind back fat through 3 mm (1/8") plate.
- In a mixing bowl place fat, chopped onions, parsley, spices and flours. Mix all together and start adding slowly blood until a dough like texture is obtained.
- Shape the sausage mass into balls. Place the ball on a leaf, then wrapped the leaf around. Lace the stuffed sausage with twine all around.
- Immerse sausages in a boiling water and cook for 90-120 minutes depending on a size. Drain and cool in air.
Serve by cutting the sausage into discs and frying in hot oil.