Meats and Sausages
Boudin Noir Aux Noix (French Blood Sausage with Nuts)
|Pork blood||400 ml||0.88 lb|
|Pork fat||150 g||0.33 lb|
|Full milk||100 ml||0.22 lb|
|Cream||10 ml||2 tsp|
|Onions||280 g||10 oz|
|Nuts: walnuts, hazel, almonds, pecans||60 g||2 oz|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of materials
|Salt||18 g||3 tsp|
|Starch (potato, tapioca)||15 g||1 Tbsp|
|Pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Nutmeg||0.5 g||¼ tsp|
|Cinnamon||0.5 g||¼ tsp|
|Cloves||0.25 g||1/8 tsp|
- Cut the fat into 25 mm (1”) pieces and cook in hot water, at 90° C (194° F) for 20 minutes. Immerse in cold water to cool.
- Grind the fat through 8 mm (3/8”) plate.
- Peel onions then cook them in water at 90° C (194° F) for 5 minutes. Chop the onions finely then fry them on low heat in some lard. Stir the onions often and fry for 60 minutes, do not let them become brown.
- Precook head meat or skins in water at 90° C (194° F) until softer.
- Chop nuts into smaller pieces.
- Using food processor blend blood, milk, cream, meat/skins, onions, nuts and all ingredients together.
- Using ladle pour the sausage mass loosely into 36 mm pork casings making one long spiral. Create shorter links by twisting or using butcher twine.
- Cook in water at 80° C (176° F) for 35 minutes.
- Immerse in cold water for 5 minutes. Drain and spread on the table to evaporate moisture.