Blood Sausage with Jowls
Prep time: 1 hour
Cook time: 1.5 hours
|Jowls||200 g||0.44 lb|
|Hearts||150 g||0.33 lb|
|Skins||150 g||0.33 lb|
|Back fat||200 g||0.44 lb|
|Blood||250 ml||8 oz fl|
|Potato flour||50 g||0.11 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of materials
|Salt||18 g||3 tsp|
|Pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Marjoram||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Allspice||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Cinnamon||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
- Cook in a small amount of water:
- skins at 95° C (203° F) until soft (don’t overcook); jowls and hearts at 80-85° C (176-185° F) until done. Save meat stock.
- Grind the skins with 1/8” (3 mm) plate. You can emulsify ground skins in food processor adding a small amount of meat stock.
- Cut up hearts and jowls by hand into 3/4” (20 mm) pieces.
- Scald the pork back fat by pouring boiling water over it for a few minutes. Then cut it into 1/4” (6 mm) cubes by hand.
- Mix all meats with spices, flour and the blood.
- Stuff loosely into beef bungs, beef middles, beef rounds or large synthetic casings.
- Cook in water at at 80° C (176° F) for about 60-90 min until sausages reach 68-70° C (154-158° F) internal temperature.
- Cool in cold water until thoroughly cooled.
- Place in refrigerator and allow it to remain there 12 hours before cutting.
- Note: for better appearance and stronger red color it is recommended to cure hearts and jowls before processing:
- Immerse hearts and jowls for 7 days in 16° Bé (60° SAL) cure solution. 16° Bé (60° SAL) cure solution is made by mixing 1.32 lb (598 g) salt, 4.2 oz (120 g) cure #1 and one gallon of water. Use 1/2 part (by weight) of meat to 1 part curing solution: 100 g of meat to 200 g (200 ml) curing solution.
If hearts and jowls are cured decrease the amount of salt in the recipe to 12 g (2 tsp).