Popular Blood Sausage
Popular Blood Sausage (Kiszka Kaszana Popularna) is a basic blood sausage which is made from blood, meat trimmings and buckwheat or barley groats. Many ingredients cannot be obtained for someone living in the city, however, farmers who slaughter their own animals should find the recipe interesting as it incorporates meats that are not usually served on a typical dinner plate.
|Beef trimmings, beef and veal lips, skins, spleens, lungs, beef and lamb liver, udders, beef and lamb tripe, veal casings, pork stomachs, skwarki *, boiled beef, veal and lamb head meat, boiled bone meat||300 g||10.5 oz|
|Fat (stock fat from poaching meats)||200 g||12.3 oz|
|Blood||300 g||10.5 oz|
|Barley or buckwheat groats||200 g||12.3 oz|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||20 g||3 tsp|
|Pepper||1 g||1/2 tsp|
|Marjoram||2 g||1 tsp|
|Onion, fresh||30 g||1 small onion|
- Wash meats in cold water, soak any salted meats for 2-3 hrs in cold running water.
- Poach meats (except liver, spleen and skwarki *) in small amount of water: lungs at 80-85° C (176-185° F) until soft; skins, beef trimmings, lips, udders, tripe and heads at 95° C (203° F); veal casings at 80-85° C (176-185° F) until semi-soft. After poaching remove gristle from lungs and meat from heads. Spread meats apart on a flat surface to cool.
- Boil barley grouts (1 kg) in 2 liters of left over meat stock or water until semi-soft. Boil buckwheat grouts (1 kg) in 3.6-4.0 liters of left over meat stock or water. Slow boil grouts for ½ hr continuously stirring. After boiling leave for ½-1 hr covered.
- Grind beef trimmings,pork skins, beef and veal lips, lungs, udders, veal casings, pork stomachs-all boiled through 3 mm plate. Grind boiled head meat through 3 mm plate. Grind beef and lamb liver, raw spleen and skwarki * through 3 mm plate.
- Add salt and spices to ground meats, mix barley or buckwheat grouts with blood, add stock fat and then mix everything well together.
- Stuffing materials: 50 mm cellulose or fibrous synthetic casings, butcher’s twine. Form a hanging loop.
- Stuff casings loosely, make straight links 40-45 cm (16-18”) long. Tie the ends with twine. Make hanging loop 10-12 cm (4-5”) at one end.
- Immerse sausages in boiling water and poach at 75-78° C (167-172° F) for about 80-100 min until internal meat temperature reaches 68-70° C (154-158° F).
- Immerse sausages for 5 min in cold running water, then spread them on a flat surface to cool down below 6° C (43° F). If no suitable cooling conditions are available, arrangements need to be made to bring the temperature to 12°C (53°F) or less.
* Skwarki is the byproduct of rendering pork fat. They are solid light brown cracklings which remain after the fat was filtered. They are usually made from back fat.
Meats should be neither salted nor cured