- Peel the shrimp from their shells.
- Wash the shrimp and place into 10% (40° salinometer) brine for 10 minutes. Stir the shrimp after 5 minutes. To make brine dissolve 1 lb of salt in 1 gallon of water.
- Remove shrimp and drop them into a fresh boiling 10% brine for 6 minutes. Drain and place on the screen until the surface moisture evaporates away, then pack into containers without a delay.
- Pack shrimp into into glass jars to within 1-1/4 from the top. About 5 ounces of shrimp are put into 8 oz (1/2 pint) jar.
- Fill glass jars with a hot 1% brine. To make brine dissolve 0.70 oz (20 g = 3 teaspoons) salt in 1 gallon of water.
- Leave 1 inch headspace. Seal and process at once.
- Pack shrimp into cans to within 1/2 inch from the top.
- Fill glass jars with a hot 1% brine. Leave 1/4 inch headsets. To make brine dissolve 0.35 oz (10 g) salt in 1 gallon of water. Seal and process at once.
|Style of Pack||Container||Process Time||Canner Pressure at "0" ft|
|Hot||Jar-1/2 Pints||25 min||11 lb||10 lb|
|Jar-1 Pint||35 min||11 lb||10 lb|
|Can-307x200.25||20 min||11 lb||10 lb|
|Can-No.2||30 min||11 lb||10 lb|
For processing at above 1,000 ft, see Altitude Adjustments.