Beet and Horseradish Relish
Beet and horseradish goes well with cold cuts, especially beef.
- Beets, 1 kg, 2.2 lb (peeled and diced)
- Apples, Granny Smith, 500 g, (skinned, cored and diced)
- Onions, 200 g (peeled and finely diced)
- Sugar, 300 g
- Freshly grated horseradish, 150 g
- Salt, 9 g, 1-1/2 tsp
- Mustard seed, 10 seeds
- Caraway seed, 4 g, 3 tsp
- Ground pepper, 2 g, 1 tsp
- Wine vinegar, 500 ml
- 1/2 pint or pint glass jars
- Peel apples and remove cores and seeds. Dice into cubes.
- Peel and dice beets.
- Peel onions and chop finely.
- Grate horseradish.
- Except horseradish, place all ingredients in a pot. Mix and let stand for 20 minutes.
- Boil gently until the mixture thickens. Stir often to prevent apples sticking to the bottom.
- Switch the heat off, add horseradish and mix all together.
- Fill hot relish into 1/2 pint jars. Remove air bubbles. Tighten lids.
- Place jars in a canner and bring water to a boil. Process at 212° F, 100° C for 10 minutes.
NOTE use Granny Smith green apples.