Meats and Sausages
Apple and Mint Relish
Apple mint goes well with pork meat, for example pork chops.
- Apples, 1.5 kg, 3.3 lb, (skinned, cored and diced)
- Onions, 350 g, 12 oz, (peeled and finely diced)
- Apple vinegar, 250 ml, 8 oz fl
- Sugar, 300 g, 10 oz
- Salt, 9 g
- Cinnamon, 2 sticks
- Cloves, 1
- Powdered mustard, 2 g
- Fresh mint, 50 g, 1.8 oz
- Grated lemon zest and juice, 1 lemon
- 1/2 pint or pint glass jars
- Peel apples and remove cores and seeds. Cut into cubes.
- Peel onions and chop finely.
- Place apples and sugar in pot. Add sugar and salt. Let stand for 20 minutes.
- Add vinegar, powdered mustard, clove, cinnamon, lemon zest and juice.
- Boil gently until the mixture thickens. Stir often to prevent apples sticking to the bottom.
- Cut mint into 1/4" sections and add in a last stage of cooking.
- Remove clove and cinnamon sticks. Fill hot relish into 1/2 pint jars. Remove air bubbles. Tighten lids.
- Place jars in a canner and bring water to a boil. Process at 212° F, 100° C for 10 minutes.
NOTE use Granny Smith green apples.