Picalilli is a British relish of chopped pickled vegetables and spices.
- 6 cups chopped green tomatoes
- 1-1/2 cups chopped sweet red peppers
- 1-1/2 cups chopped green peppers
- 2-1/4 cups chopped onions
- 7-1/2 cups chopped cabbage
- 1/2 cup canning or pickling salt
- 3 Tbsp whole mixed pickling spice
- 4-1/2 cups vinegar (5%)
- 3 cups brown sugar
- Yield: About 9 half pints
- Wash, chop, and combine vegetables with 1/2 cup salt. Cover with hot water and let stand 12 hours. Drain and press in a clean white cloth to remove all possible liquid. Tie spices loosely in a spice bag and add to combined vinegar and brown sugar and heat to a boil in a sauce pan. Add vegetables and boil gently 30 minutes or until the volume of the mixture is reduced by one half. Remove spice bag. Fill hot sterile jars with hot mixture, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace if needed. Wipe rims of jars with a dampened clean paper towel. Adjust lids and process.
|Packing Method||Jar Size||Process Time in Minutes at Altitudes of|
|0-1,000 ft||1,001-6,000 ft||Above 6,000 ft|
|Hot||1/2 Pints or Pints||5||10||15|