- 11 cups or 4 lbs chopped unripe (hard) mango
- 2-1/2 cups or 3/4 lb finely chopped yellow onion
- 2-1/2 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 1-1/2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh garlic
- 4-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 cups white distilled vinegar (5%)
- 2-1/2 cups golden raisins
- 1 tsp canning salt
- 4 tsp chili powder
CAUTION Handling green mangoes may irritate the skin of some people in the same way as poison ivy. (They belong to the same plant family.) To avoid this reaction, wear plastic or rubber gloves while working with raw green mango. Do not touch your face, lips or eyes after touching or cutting raw green mangoes until all traces are washed away. Yield: About 6 half pint jars.
- Wash, peel, and separate mango flesh from seed. Chop mango flesh into chunks and puree in blender or food processor until smooth. Combine all ingredients in a 6 to 8 quart Dutch oven or stockpot and heat on medium high heat, with continuous stirring, until the mixture reaches 200° F. The mixture will sputter as it is being heated, so be sure to wear gloves or oven mitts to avoid burning skin. Fill hot sauce into hot half pint jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace if needed. Wipe rims of jars with a dampened clean paper towel. Adjust lids and process.
|Packing Method||Jar Size||Process Time in Minutes at Altitudes of|
|0-1,000 ft||1,001-6,000 ft||Above 6,000 ft|
|Hot||1/2 Pints or Pints||10||15||20|