Apricot (or other plums) and apple chutney goes well with cold cuts, especially liver sausages and pates.
- Apricots, 700 g (1.54 lb)
- Green apples, 300 g (0.66 lb)
- Sugar, 500 g (1.10 lb)
- Lemon juice, 1 lemon
- Lemon zest, 1 lemon
- 2 Onions, finely diced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- Finely chopped ginger, 30 g
- Cardamom, 12 seeds
- Cloves, 6
- Cinnamon, 1 stick
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- 3 Tbsp vinegar, 5%
- ½ pint (8 oz) glass jars
1. Spice extract. Take a small skillet and add cinnamon stick, cloves, cardamom seeds and 125 ml (1/2 cup). Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes without cover. Drain.
2. Remove apricot pits. Add ½ sugar.
3. Peel apples, remove cores and seeds and dice finely. Squeeze lemon to release juice. Grate lemon zest. Grate or finely chop fresh ginger.
4. Heat olive oil and butter in a medium size skillet. Add onion and cook until glassy. Add apricots, apples, vinegar, and lemon juice and bring to a boil. Add spice extract, curry powder, ginger, lemon zest and remaining sugar and cook for 30 minutes over low heat. At the end of cooking add garlic.
5. Fill glass jars to within ¼ inch from top, remove air bubbles and adjust lids.
6. Process for 10 minutes in water bath canner.
7. Remove from canner and let stand for 12 hours.