Salted Japanese Cabbage
|napa cabbage||2 kg||4.4 lb|
|salt, 3%||60 g|
|dried Japanese kombu||15 cm||6 inches|
|hot peppers (Tabasco strength)||3||3|
- Remove 2-3 outer cabbage leaves for later use. Cut the cabbage half way from the base to the middle.
- Tear the rest apart.
- Split each half into quarters.
- Sprinkle little salt into the bottom of a container.
- Place cabbage quarters, cut sides up. Sprinkle more salt on cut cabbage, add lemon slices, kombu, and whole hot peppers.
- Repeat until all cabbage is firmly packed. Sprinkle with remaining salt.
- Place a lid or inverted dinner plate on top of cabbage, then add weight on top.
- There should be liquid over the plate the next day. Ready to eat in 3 days.