Fermented Beets and Horseradish Relish
Finely grated fresh beets and horseradish is a great combination that goes well with cold meat cuts. Horseradish is a root crop, grown for the pungent roots. They contain highly volatile oils with a sharp flavor. Grind fresh horseradish in a well-ventilated room. The fumes from grinding are potent. If you use a manual grater expect to cry a lot! Beets will color your hands purple, so use gloves.
|beets||700 g||1.54 lb|
|salt, 2.5%||25 g||4 tsp|
|horseradish||200 g||0.5 lb|
|caraway seeds||1 tsp|
|sugar||15 g||1 Tbsp|
- Wash and rinse beets to get rid of dirt but don't scrub the outside or peel them. Slice or grate.
- Do the same with horseradish.
- Mix everything with spices, salt and sugar.
- Pack in a container. Place weight on top.
- Ferment, preferably around 68° F (20° C), for about 2 weeks. Serve with lemon wedges.