Meats and Sausages
Beets rich chemical and mineral composition has made them a medicinal vegetable for thousands of years. Beets are rich in nitrates and when consumed regularly, they help to lower blood pressure and stimulate the immune system. Beet juice is a powerful natural colorant.
- beets, 1 kg (2.2 lb)
- salt, 2.5%, 25 g (4 tsp)
- whole cloves, 4
- cinnamon stick, 1, crushed
- sugar, 15 g (1 Tbsp)
- 400 g, Korean or Chinese Ya pear, or an apple
- Cut off stalks and rinse beets off to get rid of dirt. Don't scrub the outside or peel the beets.
- Slice or grate beets. Cut pears into wedges.
- Mix with salt and spices.
- Pack. Place a weight on top. Beets may get foamy, this is normal.
- Ferment, preferably around 68° F (20° C), for about 2 weeks. After 3 days, taste the beets and see how you like them. If you want them a little tangier, let them ferment longer. If you like what you taste, refrigerate.