Beans, Fresh Lima - Shelled
Select well-filled pods with green seeds. Discard insect-damaged and diseased seeds.
- Shell beans and wash thoroughly.
- Hot Pack
- Cover beans with boiling water and heat to boil. Fill hot jars loosely, leaving 1-inch headspace. Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt to pints, 1 teaspoon to quarts, if desired. Fill with boiling water to 1 inch from top. Remove air bubbles, adjust lids and process.
- Raw Pack
- Fill hot jars loosely with raw beans. Do not press or shake down.
- Small beans - leave 1-inch of headspace for pints and 1-1/2 inches for quarts.
- Large beans - leave 1-inch of headspace for pints and 1-1/4 inches for quarts.
Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt to pints, 1 teaspoon to quarts, if desired. Add boiling water, leaving the same headspaces listed above. Remove air bubbles, adjust lids and process.
|Style of Pack||Jar Size||Process Time||Canner Pressure at "0" ft|
|11 lb||10 lb|
|Hot and Raw||Pints||40 min||11 lb||10 lb|
For processing at above 1,000 ft, see Altitude Adjustments.