Meat - Vegetable Stew
- Raw Pack
- Beef, lamb, or veal, cut in 1 - 1/2 inch cubes - 2 quarts
- Potatoes, pared or scraped, cut in 1/2 inch cubes - 2 quarts
- Carrots, pared or scraped, cut in 1/2-inch cubes - 2 quarts
- Celery, 1/4-inch pieces - 3 cups
- Onions, small whole, peeled - 7 cups
Combine ingredients. Yield is 7 quarts or 16 pints.
Glass jars. Fill jars to top with raw meat-vegetable mixture. Add salt if desired: 1/2 teaspoon per pint or 1 teaspoon per quart. Adjust lids and process at once at 10 pounds pressure (240° F).
Metal cans. Fill cans to top with raw meat-vegetable mixture. Do not add liquid. Add salt if desired: 1/2 teaspoon to No. 2 cans or 1 teaspoon to No. 2.5 cans. To exhaust air, cook stew at slow boil to 170° F., or until medium done (about 50 minutes). Seal cans and process at once at 10 pounds pressure (240° F).
|Style of Pack||Container||Process Time||Canner Pressure at "0" ft|
|Raw||Jar-Pint||60 min||11 lb||10 lb|
For processing at above 1,000 ft, see Altitude Adjustments.