Meats and Sausages
Any good sausage recipe may be used. It is best to go easy on the spices because of flavor changes which may develop during canning and storing. Mold sausage into smooth, round flat cakes. Precook, pack and process the same as hamburger, hot pack. The following recipe for sausage is suggested:
- Use about one-third fat pork and two-thirds lean pork.
- Mix seasonings and sprinkle over the meat before grinding.
- For a fine, even sausage it should be run through the grinder a second, time.
For four pounds ground pork use:
- 5 level teaspoons salt
- 2 level teaspoons ground marjoram
- 1 level teaspoon sugar
- 1 level tablespoon pepper
- 1 level teaspoon ground cloves or 1/2 tsp. nutmeg, if desired.
- The above amount may be made to test the recipe, if desired.
For 100 pounds ground pork use:
- 2-1/2 cups salt
- 1 cup group marjoram
- 1/2 cup sugar (omit if it is expected that sausage will not be used reasonable soon)
- 1-1/2 cups pepper
|Hot||Container Size||Process Time||Canner Pressure at "0" ft|
|Hot||Jar-Pint||75 min||11 lb||10 lb|
|Can-No.2.5 and No.3||90 min|
For processing at above 1,000 ft, see Altitude Adjustments.