Meats and Sausages
|pork liver||250 g||0.55 lb|
|pork grade II, some fat (pork butt)||400 g||0.88 lb|
|pork trimmings, fat and connective tissue permitted||50 g||2 oz|
|fat trimmings||300 g||0.66 lb|
|Ingredients for 1 kg (2.2 lb) of materials|
|salt||14 g||2.5 tsp|
|pepper||1.5 g||0.75 tsp|
|allspice||0.3 g||1/4 tsp|
|nutmeg||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|bay leaf, finely crushed||one leaf||one leaf|
|cloves||0.2 g||1/10 tsp|
|onion||10 g||1/4 small onion|
- Wash the liver, cut it across and then scald it in hot water (167° F, 75° C) until no more blood is released.
- Dice onion, take 10 g of fat trimmings and fry onion until golden.
- Precook all meats and fat trimmings (except liver) in a skillet, stirring often, until meat looses its raw meat color.
- Grind liver, meat and fat trimmings through 1/8" (3 mm) plate or smaller. Add all spices and either grind again or process in food processor, until one smooth paste is obtained.
- Pack into glass jars leaving 1 inch headspace.
- Place jars into warm water and heat up to about 100° F, 38° C.
- Seal jars, and process at once at 250° F, 121° C:
1/2 Pint - 50 min
Pint - 60 min
Continue after step 4:
- 5. Fill the cans leaving 1/4 inch headspace.
- 6. Exhaust cans to 170° F, 77° C meat temperature.
- 7. Seal and process at once at 250° F, 121° C:
- 307x200.25 - 50 min
- 307x409 - 80 min