|pork grade I (lean)||650 g||1.43 lb|
|pork grade III (connective tissue)||350 g||0.77 lb|
|use pork butts for obaining above meat grades.|
|Ingredients for 1 kg (2.2 lb) of materials|
|salt||20 g||3 tsp|
|Cure #1||2.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|potato flour*||30 g||1 oz|
- Curing mix. Mix salt with cure #1
- Cut all meat into 1 inch pieces, but keep both meat grades in separate containers.
- Mix pork grade I with ? of curing mix. Mix pork grade III with ? of curing mix. Pack tightly in separate containers and cover meat with a clean cloth.
- Cure for 72 hours in refrigerator.
- Grind pork grade III through ?" (3 mm) plate.
- Mix (knead) pork grade I until it becomes sticky. During mixing start adding potato flour. When meat is thoroughly mixed with the flour, add 30 ml of cold water and remix all together.
- Fill cans leaving º inch headspace.
- Exhaust cans to 170° F, 77° C meat temperature.
- Process at once at 250° F, 121° C:
No.2, 307x409 - 80 min
NOTE * Potato flour binds water well. It also inhibits jelly formation which children usually don't like to eat.