Lard - Smoked With Spices
|back fat, fresh (not frozen), without skin and traces of meat||900 g||1.98 lb|
|smoked back fat - no older than 4 weeks from the date it was smoked||100 g||0.22 lb|
|salt||15 g||2.5 tsp|
|garlic||1 g||1/3 clove|
|marjoram, dry||0.5 g||1/2 tsp|
- Dice fresh garlic finely, then mix/grind with a small amount of salt. Use a spoon and the cup or mortar and pestle for that purpose.
- Grind fresh back fat and smoked back fat together through 1/4" (5-6 mm) plate adding all ingredients.
- Remix ground fat to distribute uniformly the ingredients.
- Warm up the fat slightly (100° F, 38° C) then pour into warm jars leaving 1 inch headspace.
- Process without delay at 250° F, 121° C:
1/2 Pint jar - 50 min
Pint jar - 60 min
- Follow the above instructions. Exhausting and sealing up hot lard is not recommended for home production due to safety risk when handling hot oil.
- Fill the cans leaving 1/4 inch headspace.
- Process at once at 250° F, 121° C:
- 1/2 lb, 307x200.25 - 60 min