Lard - Plain
|back fat, fresh (not frozen), without skin and traces of meat||1 kg||2.2 lb|
|salt||15 g||2.5 tsp|
- Grind back fat through 1/4" (5 mm) plate adding salt.
- Mix the ground fat to distribute uniformly salt.
- Warm up the fat slightly (100° F, 38° C) then pour into warm jars leaving 1 inch headspace.
- Process without delay at 250° F, 121° C:
1/2 Pint jar - 50 min
Pint jar - 60 min
- Follow the above instructions. Exhausting and sealing up hot lard is not recommended for home production due to safety risks when handling hot oil.
- Fill the cans leaving 1/4 inch headspace.
- Process at once at 250° F, 121° C:
- 1/2 lb, 307x200.25 - 60 min.