Bacon With Peas In Jars
|smoked bacon||300 g||0.66 lb|
|lard||10 g||2 tsp|
|dry peas||690 g||13.76 oz|
|Ingredients for 1 kg (2.2 lb) of material|
|salt||16 g||2-1/2 tsp|
|pepper||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|marjoram||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|1/2 small onion||20 g||3/4 oz|
|allspice||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|paprika||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|bay leaf||1/2 leaf||1/2 leaf|
|leek||10 g||1/3 oz|
|celery||10 g||1/3 oz|
|carrot||10 g||1/3 oz|
|parsley||10 g||1/3 oz|
|pork bones for making stock||150 g||6 oz|
- Soak dry peas in water for 3 hours. Stir.
- Dice the onion and fry in lard until golden.
- Cut bacon into pieces about 2-1/2 oz (70 g) each.
- Add 1 quart (1 liter) of water to a skillet and add bones. Bring to a boil and slow boil for 3 hours. Add all ingredients and boil additional hour (total boil 4 hours). Strain the stock and mix with fried onions.
- Place in each jar: 1-2 pieces of bacon, peas and fill with hot stock leaving 1 inch headspace. Seal and process at once at 250° F, 121° C:
- 1/2 Pint jars - 50 min
- Pint jars - 60 min