Bacon With Peas In Cans
|smoked bacon||600 g||1.32 lb|
|lard||10 g||2 tsp|
|dry peas||390 g||13.76 oz|
|Ingredients for 1 kg (2.2 lb) of material|
|salt||5 g||1 tsp|
|marjoram||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|small onion||40 g||1.4 oz|
- Soak dry peas in cold water for 12 hours. Stir often.
- Add water to pot equipped with a steamer basked and bring to a boil. Place soaked peas in a steamer basket and cook for 3 minutes, shaking the pot a few times to make sure that all peas are scalded equally. Drain peas on screens.
- Dice onion and fry in lard until golden.
- Cook smoked bacon for 3 minutes in boiling water. Cut bacon into pieces about 2-1/2 oz (70 g) each.
- Mix peas with onion, salt and marjoram. Add peas and mix again.
- Pack each can with one piece of smoked bacon, then fill with peas.
- Add water, leaving 1/2 headspace.
- Exhaust cans to 170° F, 77° C meat temperature. Fill with hot water to 1/4 inch from top.
- Seal and process at once at 250° F, 121° C: 307x200.25 - 45 min