Any plum will make a good jam, however, damson plums are our favorite for making jams or alcoholic beverages.
- Plums, 1.2 kg (2.65 lb)
- Sugar, 700 g (1.5 lb)
- Lemon juice, 125 ml (4.23 oz fl)
- ½ pint jars1
- Split open plums, remove pits. Quarter plums and place in a large bowl. Add sugar, mix, cover and leave for 4 hours at room temperature.
- Place plums in a large pot, add lemon juice, and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Continue cooking for about 10-15 minutes, stirring often, until jam thickens. Do not cover, the purpose of cooking is to evaporate water. Perform refrigerator test to test jam.
- Fill jars with jam to within ¼ inch from the top. Remove air bubbles, install and tighten covers.
- Place jars in a bath canner and bring water to a boil. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove jars from the canner and leave undisturbed for 12 hours.
- Store in cool and dark place.