Black elderberry (Sumbucus nigra) has been used medicinally for hundreds of years. Many studies demonstrate that elderberry may have a measurable effect in treating the flu, alleviating allergies, and boosting overall respiratory health. Elderberry is used in Traditional Chinese Medicine, dissolved in wine,for rheumatism and traumatic injury. The berries are a favorite food resource for many birds.
- 1 kg (2.2 lb)elderberries (without stems)
- 600 g (1.32 lb) sugar
- 1 green apple, not ripe
- Juice of 2 lemons
1. Using fork separate berries from stalks. Peel and core apple, dice into small cubes.
2. Place elderberries in pot, and bring slowly to a boil, stirring constantly. Once the berries release juice, add finely diced apple. Bring to a boil.
3. Decrease the heat, add sugar and lemon juice and cook over low heat for 45 minutes stirring often until the jam thickens.
Perform refrigerator test.
4. Fill jam into jars and process in water bath canner for 10 minutes.
5. Remove jars and let stand for 12 hours.